Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Billy

Hey friends,

Another great song called Billy by none other than James Blunt. This one is actually becoming a fast favorite of mine (actually all of them are favorite, but there are some I listen to more than others) Billy could be anyone, and I am not sure if Blunt knows someone named Billy, but when I listen to this song, I can picture myself in Billy’s place. It's as if I can substitute my own name in place of Billy.

In essence, I am someone who knows I have done something wrong, for which I am paying the price today. The damage is done. Sorrow is my soulmate. Billy’s story is that he was sleeping with another and is labeled a cheat, but I think I can insert my own story in there. In fact, anyone who feels they have done something wrong which they wish they could undo, this song is for them.

All is not in despair as Blunt gives some hope: "old doors are closed but he’s always open," signifying a future of hope, a redeemed future, a chance to start anew in life.

Billy

Billy's leaving today (don't know where he's going).
Holds his head in disgrace (he can't escape the truth).
He knows the price that he's paid.
He admits that it's too late to admit that he's afraid.
Tomorrow comes. Sorrow becomes his soul mate.
The damage is done. The prodigal son is too late.
Old doors are closed but he's always open,
To relive time in his mind.
Oh Billy.

Billy's leaving today (don't know where he's going).
He's got lines on his face (they tell the story of his pain).
He accepts it's his fate.
He admits it took too long to admit that he was wrong.
Tomorrow comes. Sorrow becomes his soul mate.
The damage is done. The prodigal son is too late.
Old doors are closed but he's always open,
To relive time in his mind.
Oh Billy.

Once he was a lover sleeping with another.
Now he's just known as a cheat.
And he wish he'd had a mirror; looked a little clearer.
Seen into the eyes of the weak.
Tomorrow comes. Sorrow becomes his soul mate.
The damage is done. The prodigal son is too late.
Old doors are closed but he's always open,
To relive time in his mind.
Oh Billy.

--- James Blunt


Mansur

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the song 'Billy' too. However, I wondered about the mention of the word "prodigal son" in this song, and didn't quite understand its meaning. This is the info I found on it:

The Prodigal Son refers to a son who returns home after squandering his fortunes; and the term "prodigal son" has also passed into wider usage to mean a son or other dependent who does not live up to the expectations of those who have launched him or her into a life or career.

So... it makes sense now. Always helps to do a bit of research.

Xena

Anonymous said...

yeah, there is a famous story in the Bible about the return of the prodigal son...about a son who leaves home, waste his money and life, and thinks his father will not welcome him home after the way he betrayed his father's trust..but to his shock, his father accepts him and welcomes him back to his home....

Anonymous said...

dear mansur,
i came accross your blog while searching for james blunt. i think it's so cool that so many different kinds of people love him and his music!! i just went to his concert 3 days ago in chicago and me and my friend were the only muslim girls there, but we rocked and it was so much fun! you should check out his message board at www.jamesblunt.com other fans share their stories, and some people have posted pictures and even some downloads that are not yet available anywhere else.

nice meeting you!
-laila
p.s. i had cousins who lived in dubai for 20+ years...isnt it strange how small the world is becoming? so cool to be able to make connections all over the world!

Powered By Blogger