Friday, January 26, 2007

Terry Fox Run

Hey everyone,

So today morning, at 8am my friend and I went to Mamzar Park to register for the Terry Fox Run in Dubai. Terry Fox was a young man who had cancer, and vowed to walk across Canada to raise money for cancer research back in1980. Talk about paying it forward, as his determination has led to Terry Fox Run all over the world.

About 10,000 people were expected at the park today morning. Once we got there, I got into my roller blades, while my friend walked/ ran in between. The race begane at 930. We walked/roller bladed/ sprinted/ jogged the entire 8.4km. It didn't seem that long, and it was good doing all that knowing our donations went for cancer research. There were lots of people from schools, and apparently come companies who had surrely paid theie employees to run the race. People ran, walked, cycled, roller bladed, skate boarded. The weather was pleasant, the roads were wide open with enough space for people to do their walk without bumping into anyone else. One exciting thing that happened was a group of yuong teenagers fighting with one another. I had never seen a young teen kick another teen in the head and chest so hard. I was freaking out a little seeing such violence. Despite that, we all got our certificates at the end and several bananas and sandwiches.

I came home, and then to the Fitness First gym at the Ibn Battuta Mall. They are celebrating their first anniversary and so today, tomorrow and day after is open to the public. I thought I might as well check it out. I thought it was an ok gym. The equipments were all high tech and all, with complete flat screen tvs everywhere. This club is exclusive and caters to a certain cleintele. The funniest thing I saw was the notice in the changing room, where it asked everyone to respect other people and be modest. What I saw in there was far from modest!

Mansur

No comments:

Powered By Blogger