Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Absolutely Sickening...

Hey everyone ,

As I was watching Geo TV, the Pakistani news channel, there was a report on the first "gay" marriage in Pakistan. We just entered this month of Ramadan, and here is a news report that a 42 year old man married a 16 year old teenager in the remote Khyber region bordering Afghanistan. I checked out the news online, and even BBC news reported it.

'Pomp and show'

A local Urdu-language newspaper said the elder man, named as Liaquat Ali, had taken a local boy called Markeen as "his male bride".

The paper said the boy's impoverished parents accepted 40,000 rupees (£380) for their son's hand in marriage.

"The marriage was held amid usual pomp and show associated with a tribal wedding," it said.
Malik Waris Khan, a prominent local politician and former federal minister, confirmed to AFP that the marriage had taken place.

"I checked the report with people in Tirah Valley and they confirmed it," he said.

All I can say is that I am absolutely sickened by this news. The boy's parents know about it. The whole village celebrated with "pomp and show." I am sickened that people feel they compromise on such beliefs to get money.

Mansur

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mansour said...

I am most disappointed that this is happening in my own country! I mean, I knew gays existed and all...but to actually see some people accept it for money sickens me...

M

Powered By Blogger