Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Finally Left

Hey friends,

On Monday night, my parents and sister finally left Jeddah. Eveything in our house had been packed up. All the carpets and curtains came down. All the plants given away. All the cupboards emptied out. My parents and their friends wept at the airport as it dawned on them that my parents were really leaving Jeddah. My sister confessed she didn't think she would be this sad. But amidst all the emotional turmoil, we all know we have great things to look forward to. My dad has his new businesses to handle in Pakistan. My mom will be busy with our house coming up, and looking for potential spouses for me and my sister. My sister has her graduation to look forward too. They are all going to spending time with my brother, his wife and their two kids for two months. So, despite us leaving, and being all sad about it, we know the best thing to do is move forward and anticipate all the exciting times that lay ahead of us. Mason Cooley once said "Every farewell combines loss and new freedom." I think that encapsulates my feelings for now. As I leave Jeddah, I know there are newer and bigger things to look out for, but then again, I will never forget where I am coming from.

Mansur

4 comments:

Nash said...

Mansur,
I was always under the impression that you live in UAE. Or maybe you were previously in Jeddah? How many years were you in Jeddah? What about yourself, are you also going back, or will you stay? He he Mansur, your mom is going to be busy fixing you and your sis up, be ready for that my friend. All the best, whatever you do, pls dont stop blogging, you are quite a character...
Nash

Mansour said...

Hey Jeddawi 4ever, while we were growing up, I dont ever think we ever complained about being in Jeddah. But when we were teens, we would complain about segregation,censorship etc but then every teen in every country has something to complain about. My love for Jeddah started becoming deep after I left Jeddah for university, and ever since then, I would return every six months. Ever since then, I would come to love Jeddah more and more. Yes, there are issues and ills in the society, but then that's everywhere. Jeddah is jeddah, and I love it.

My mom had retired from her position at Dar Al Hanan back in the mid-90s. My father also retired this year. His main concern was to go back to Pakistan and do something for the country. He wants to spend the rest of his life there, using his position for the betterment of the less fortunate people there.

Another issue that was disturbing him was the process of Saudization. While commendable, my father was forced to fire the more competent people from his company and hire Saudis, who were very difficult to find for a specific position. I won't get into the many details about that.

But, his main reason for leaving was to go back to Pakistan and devote his time in politics and charity for the betterment of the people there.

Mansur

Mansour said...

Hey Nash,

I was born in Pak, and moved to Saudi when I was months old. Since then, I grew up there. As you know, all expat kids have to leave after 12th grade, which is what I had to do. Went to high school and university in the States. I transferred to Dubai later, and completed my degree here, and am working in Dubai. Ever since I had left Jeddah after 12th grade, I would return every six months. But, now, we all have left and I don't know when I will be going next.

Mansur

Nash said...

Thanks for the clarification Mansur, I wish you success wherever you go :)

Powered By Blogger