Saturday, July 29, 2006

Why Can't I Be Alone?

One of my favorite places in the world is the ocean.
That's one place where, as I snorkel, I can hear the sound of my own breath and nothing else.

As I swim across the surface of the ocean, I know I am far away from the madness of the world.
Yes, I may be an escapist, someone who is running away from the problems of the world

But

In the ocean, I am in solitude.
I am alone. I like that.
I stare down into the darkness.
Who knows how deep the ocean floor may be?

I wish something could come and drag me down to the ocean floor.
I want to fall into the abyss.
I want something in this darkness to end me.

I wish my life were like that too, where I don't have to encounter loud noise from all around me.
I wish I could be alone.
I wish I could live my life the way I want to.

Why can't I be alone?


Snoopy Island, Fujairah

5 comments:

jummy bear said...

"When they are alone they want to be with others, and when they are with others they want to be alone. After all, human beings are like that." - Gertrude Stein

Anonymous said...

so true...

flamin said...

very beautifully written. it relates a lot to my post on loneliness that u commented on.

i love sitting by the beach and just thinking about life or wondering and marvelling at life and everything in it. the trick is not to be carried away. we all need moments in solitude to be in touch with ourselves...or we'll cease to recognize ourselves.

Anonymous said...

so depressing man...hope u get out of your abyss real soon..

Anonymous said...

so depressing man...hope u get out of your abyss real soon..

Powered By Blogger