Wednesday, October 13, 2004

The One about Christopher "Superman" Reeves' Death

Dear friends,

Today, Christopher Reeves passed away. Christopher Reeves was forever immortalized as the Superman. Whenever Reeves’ name is mention, images of Superman come up in people’s mind. I still remember watching the first Superman movie—that made me believe that a man could fly! I dreamt of flying myself at that young age, and would pretend to play Superman: flying, using my vision to cut through steel and blowing hard to blow away the villains!

Reeves carried on his persona of a superman into reality when he fell off his horse during horse-riding. He broke two of his vertebrae and was paralyzed from neck downwards. He was bound to a wheelchair. He simply could not move. That was a drastic change from a man who made the world believe he could fly to a man who was made immobile. However, as we all know, Reeves kept his hope, courage and determination high. He was very optimistic that he would be cured. He rallied for the cause of paralysis world over and initiated a foundation – Christopher Reeves Paralysis Act and was set up to carry out research. Reeves became a role model world over for people who suffered from paralysis, but I feel that Reeves was also an inspiration to others who suffered from even the minor form of ailments. Reeves showed the world that you did not have to be down and out with the ailment, but rather can be optimistic through being hopeful and determined. In fact, Reeves said in his interview in Reader’s Digest (October 2004) “I focus on the opportunities that comes along my way and rather than on the things that haven’t arrived yet.”

One thing that almost everyone is saying is that Reeves wife, Dana, has been on his constant side. She has been very patient and has contributed a lot of her time and energy to care for Reeves. Reeves said in the same in the interview that “the love and support of my family, and the fact that I’m needed” is really what kept him going through his sufferings. The biggest gift Reeves said he got was “the growth of his family, the support we give one another—my two older kids [from previous relationship], and Will [his son from Dana], and of course Dana, who is by my side no matter. And that’s really extraordinary.” I think at a time when people have the conception that family values have been eroded from the Western society, particularly America, this comes as a fresh breath to me.

I have left my small tribute to Reeves at BBC Online. I know I never shared any of this with you earlier, but I secretly admired Reeves for his bravery, hope, courage and determination. As someone who is deaf, and uses hearing aids, I took some lessons from Reeves as to how deal with the situation. There is an old adage which goes something like “there is always someone worse off than you.” I would think of the situation Reeves is in, and would count my blessings!

Here is the website if you are also interested in leaving your tributes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/talking_point/3732366.stm

Yours,

Mansur

PS The BBC have closed the section where you can leave your tributes.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger