Tuesday, July 19, 2005

UAE BLog Blocked!

Hi friends,

Secret Diary Dubai has been blocked here in the UAE. I was not aware of this blog, but apparently it looked at the satirical side of Dubai. It's silly because people from outside Dubai can write about Dubai and have the world read about it. Why block this one particular blog. Will this stop people from changing their perception of Dubai? I don't think so. As the newspaper says, there was a poem written about something, which got disapproving comments. This news article scares me because I wonder how far I can go with my blog. Can I experss my thoughts freely? Am I restricted by the laws here to not go over-board? It's bad enough that the local telecom blocks the publishing of images through Blogger. So much for the freedom of speech. I don't think there ever exists such a thing as freedom of speech. The only place where I can think of freedom of speech is Hyde Park Corner in London, where people get up on boxes and talk about absolutely anything!

Mansur

No comments:

Powered By Blogger