Monday, June 19, 2006

The Call to Prayer

Hey friends,

Today morning, the mosque next to my house called out for prayer for Fajr. For the first time, I literally had tears in my eyes as I heard the imam call out the prayer (azhan). I wished so badly that I could close my eyes and awake myself up in Makkah. I was missing the azhan that is led in Makkah. The azhan is so unique, and because I had become so used to it, I don't think I will ever forget it. I switched my tv to Saudi channel 2, but did not find the azhan yet, because I am one hour ahead of Saudi. A lump formed in my throat as my mind raced through the probably 100s of times I have been to Makkah. More than Makkah, I was missing Medina. I don't think I can ever find a more peaceful place to live than in Medina.

I don't know how many of you know of Zain Bikha. He is a Muslim who has produced an album after his experience of Hajj. I bought his album and wept all the way through as he narrates melodiously his experiences of Hajj. Mountains of Makkah, Medina, Arafat, Prayer, Stoning the devil and so much more. His songs made it all the more personal and meaningful considering I have performed my Hajj this year, so I could relate to him 110% the experiences he felt. It also made me realize the true purpose of my life. It made me so much more aware of my existence on this planet. I am here for a reason, and Allah has a plan for my life. He has given life to me, and He has given me guidance. The choice is now up to me how I follow His guidance.

I will leave you with several excerpts from his album Mountains of Makkah.

Sabr and Shukr

There was so much on my mind
In my bed I lay
I turned to my side
I heard a voice say
“Stop all your whining,
Heart breaks declining,
You’ve got so much more than most
Look how you’re sleeping,
How much you’ve eaten
Don’t you know that you’re supposed to say/

Sabr and Shukr
Are wonderful thing s
The praises to Allah
We should always sing
When things go right
It’s from Him not me,
And when they are all
We get through patiently.

Forgive me when I whine

Later that day on my way
I saw a boy with eyes of blue
He watched the other children play
And he did not know what to do
I stopped to watch him then I said,
“Why don’t you join the others still?”
He kept on looking straight ahead
And I knew he could not hear

Oh Allah , oh Allah
Forgive me when I whine
I have two legs to walk upon
And the world is mine.
-----

It's actually a great album, and honestly, it's the first album of its kind that I have bought. I am so glad to see people like Yusuf Islam and Zain Bikha come up with modern, contemporary songs which is relevant to today's world.

Mansur

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mansur - I have been watching "live" transmission of prayers from Mecca recently. I am so blessed to get it on tv. Lately, I, too have been sad and missing the holy land. You don't realise how much you love it until you are far far away from it.

May Allah always keep us on the right path and may we reach out to Allah's home and the Prophet's (pbuh) resting place. Ameen.

S.A.

Powered By Blogger