Sunday, August 29, 2004

The One with Abha - Part II: Al- Sooda

Today we went to Al-Sooda, which is known as the highest point in the country of Saudi Arabia! I thought this was so amazing. I will soon be standing at the highest elevation in all of Saudi. This became real apparent on our drive towards Sooda. The roads were steep, the land was becoming more and more green, and the temperature dropped significantly and our ears were getting blocked all the time.

Once we got to Sooda, the first thing that caught me was that I was running out of breath. I could not breathe normally, even though I had not don’t any physical exercise. Stepping out of the car, a short burst of pain shot through my head. Gosh, I hope this does not affect me. We all walked to the campsite, and the walk over was so beautiful. It was like walking through some dense forest, curved walkways, deep gorges, small streams of water, and cold cold weather. I was reminded of the thickness of the forest in The Blair Witch Project.

The weather was as unpredictable as it is in London. Once we were sitting on the ground, the clouds started rolling over and covered the entire area. Visibility dropped to almost zero. A few minutes later, the clouds rolled away, and the intense heat of the sun’s rays hit us. But for most of the time, it was raining, windy and cold. Even our meal turned cold before we could even put it in our mouths.

It got really bad later, when it started to rain hard, and clouds came all over. We decided to pack up and leave. The walk back to the car was a really bad one, because it was raining and there was a lack of oxygen. The drive back to the hotel was really nice, and I could have sworn I was somewhere in Europe.

In the evening, we went to the Green Hill Top, where we had our dinner. This was the highest point in Abha city, and from here there were amazing views of the city. Unfortunately, we were not able to get the cable cars ride, but that is something I plan on doing next time I go.

I will definitely go back to Abha one day, and will stay for a longer period. I almost loved it to pieces, but it did not beat my two favorite cities in the world: San Francisco, USA and Damascus, Syria!

Have a good night,

Mansur

No comments:

Powered By Blogger