Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Classics vs Modern

Hey all,

I was listening to this old Indian song called Kabhie Kabhie. Embarassingly enough, today is the first time I actually paid attention to the lyrics. Earlier, I would just listen to the first line and press the next button. I thought this song was very over rated and did not understand why everyone liked it so much. The lyrics to this song are so, well, lyrical and so ultra-romantic.

Which brings me to the point that older classical songs are so much better than the new ones being churned out today. Be it Indian, Pakistani or English songs, the older ones are so much nicer and more listen-able. The old songs had great lyrics, no lewdy wordings, and the music was simple enough for you to listen to the lyrics and ponder over its meaning. Today, the mass-produced songs are basically about the music itself. More emphasis is placed on the music.

That is not to say that today's songs are bad or trashy. There are some really great songs, but somehow, their shelf life is not too long. I mean, I remember songs from the 80s that are still played today. The songs we get from Britney and Jennifer Lopez are hits for a while and then the songs fade away. In the Indian/ Pakistan music industy, the songs that are popular are actually old classic songs that have been re-sung or remixed.

Kabhie kabhie mere dil mein khayal aata hai.....

Mansur

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mansour said...

Yeeeeah-- I do remember that English version! God, all those memories came flooding back to me!

Powered By Blogger