Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Hajj: Epilogue

The Hajj: Epilogue

By the time I got up the next day, I could not fathom that I had just done my Hajj. Hajj- one of the five pillars of Islam. I have just done that. So many people all over the world make it a dream, a life mission, to do the Hajj, while I have had it relatively easy. All these years I have seen Hajj on television, and read about in the papers, but now have finally lived through what I call the most intense and rewarding journey of my life.

Why do I say it’s intense? By intense, I don’t mean that it is hard physically, or tiring, but spiritually intense. Some people don’t feel spiritual at all, and are caught up in doing the ritualistic aspect of it. Personally speaking, being on Hajj was quite spiritual for me, because I realized that I was given an opportunity for absolution on the Day of Arafat. I was given a chance to re-new myself, and have my sins cleansed and be re-born like a sinless baby. I cannot think of anything else in a life of a Muslim for whom this day would mean the most. For me, being in Arafat, surrounded by millions of people, was the best part of Hajj.

I was surrounded by millions of people in the city, yet I felt like I was the only there praying to God. I felt God’s personal attention to me there. In the later afternoon, an eerie and haunting atmosphere develops, as men and women raise their hands and pray to God, many with weeping. This is exactly what judgment day will be like.

Another aspect of Hajj, which I really gained from, was the stoning of the devil. I have stoned the pillars about 49 times. Every time I feel I am being tempted today, I take myself back to the time when I stoned the devil, and remind myself of how I casted the stone, like Abraham did, to resist the devil. It’s a very powerful ritual, which has a deep meaning to it. With each stone thrown, I said out loud Allah-u-Akbar, God is Great.

I have just so many wonderful memories, but the sweetest one I will always carry with me will be of me being surrounded by the larger Muslim community, from all the different nations, speaking different languages, looking different from one another, and who were still part of one community. My heart would go out for the elderly man who would be walking back to his tent from Mina. My heart would be touched when I would see young kids praying and crying in Arafat. My heart would rejoice as I would see people helping one another out, guiding them to their right tents and buses. Most of all, my heart would be at peace knowing that I am here fro God only, to seek forgiveness and left with huge sense of satisfaction that, thanks be to God, I was able to fulfill a huge mission in my life.

If I can say one thing to those who have not done Hajj, let me re-assure you, make it a top priority in your life. To those who are still in the Kingdom, take the next opportunity to go, for who knows may happen later. I cannot stress how wonderful Hajj has been for me, so much so, I felt like reliving the whole experience all over again.

Hajj, without a doubt, is a very challenging task of a lifetime. Maybe it was because I am young, I was able to tolerate all the walking I had to do, but once you are there, you realize that it’s not your physical strength that’s required, but your love and devotion for Allah, and that is exactly what helps you get through the experience of Hajj in the most rewarding manner.

Mansur

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

May Allah give all of us an opportunity to perform Hajj one day. Ameen.

Beautifully written.. wow Mansur. I honestly think you should take this up professionally. You need to become a journalist man!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences with us. It was much appreciated.

Xena

Mansour said...

thanks xena,

i sometimes seriously think i shall opt for journalism. several of my profs at uni also told me to get into the writing business, but lets see. i still have my book to publish... and if i get accolades for that, then, i shall sihift into writing...

Mansur

Anonymous said...

well done...amazing entries...maybe u could write a mini hajj guide for people like me who come from a non arabic background....

Omar

Anonymous said...

love what u say about how its devotion for allah that people are there..and that is what gets them thru...

S

Mansour said...

I checked out the blog you mention here. It's sick, but I am not going to let it affect me. If this is what they call "freedom of expression", so be it. I am going to get myself embroiled in this controversy. I won't let it bother me.

I know in my heart that God is control of the situation, and moments like these are a wake up call to the Muslim world to forget their differences and re-unite as one body.

I may not have cany "cannons to roar, but I have faith in God," and that is enough to sustain me during moments like these. These people who are doing all this for the sake of "freedom of expression" will be answerable to their actions one day.

Mansur

Powered By Blogger