Friday, February 24, 2006

Rainy Day in Dubai brings Destruction

Hey friends,

We have been having awesome weather here in Dubai. It's been raining, and I wish I were back in London because I love walking in rainy weather in London. There are no places here for me to walk and enjoy the weather. I would be engulfed in the traffic and pollution. Plus, roads and sidewalks are flooded with water. Go to a park, you find u have to walk through puddles of water.

Anyways, I have been enjoying the weather immensely. However, last night, my friend and I went to the Mall of the Emirates, where we were supposed to meet up with our other friends. She lives in Arabian Ranches, which is in the new part of Dubai. Well, guess what? She was delayed by an hour just to leave her home because the downpour created lakes there. In short, rains caused havoc and destruction in Dubai, especially the new Dubai area.

Not only that, there were 513 car accidents here because of the rain. Water was leaking in shopping malls-not any regular one, but Ibn Battuta mall! A friend said water was leaking in the Fairmont Hotel's restaurant. Buckets were placed in shops to collect water leaking from roofs. I wonder what is going on in the minds of the people who are in charge of town-planning and city buildings. Havent they heard of such a thing as water-proofing buildings? Are they cutting costs and corners by refusing to water-proof public buildings? What will the tourists think as they are passing through malls to see buckets in their path collecting water? My friend was pondering how many floors the water must have passed through such a tall hotel in order to get to the ground floor.

I just see a simple act of God in this. Man cannot overcome nature. Yes, we may have defied elements of nature by building high rises in the desert, and air condition them with air conditioners. Man can defy nature by building structures, but nature will always prove its worth and show man that man is still vulnerable. Remember the minor earthquake last year in Dubai? My Civil Engineering professor used to tell us that "should there be an earthquake in the region, these buildings will fall like a pack of cards." I have personally seen and heard the tactics contractors use here. Their aim: to construct as many projects as fast as possible, and if that means to cut corners and costs, so be it. Sad to say, but it's happening here.

The builders and planners of Dubai need to take a lot into consideration, given the number of buildings and projcets being announced and built. I for one hope nothing afflicts Dubai so seriously that people would wished they had taken precautions.

Mansur

No comments:

Powered By Blogger