Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Historic Day

Dear everyone,

today is a historic day. I signed the contract for my very first own home. Its a sweet one bed room apartment, with fitted kitchen appliances and curtains. I am genuinely excited. There is such a tremendous feeling of elation, happiness and achievement. The money I made in Saudi is helping me here!

Setting up a home is becoming a real challenge. The kind of furniture I am looking for is not really available here. I was going for a sofa bed initially, but then I ditched the idea, because sofa beds (unless they are really expensive ones) are not that comfortable sofas or bed. So I am going for a corner sofa, but one side has an extension, like a lounger. I am looking for a beige color sofa. I will then have a chocolate brown rug and a low brown coffee table (maybe with tempered glass covering). One side table with a lamp will be sufficient.

For the dining room, I have found a mahogany round table for four people. The color is really nice and it will contrast with the beige rug under the table. Did you see what I did here? I reversed the colors from the living to create a contrast.

The TV trolley will be one of those low tables. Above the TV will be the shelf, which I will get from Ikea. These shelves are those ones which need no support underneath it. They look like pieces of rectangular blocks fixed into the walls. One floor lamp will be enough to light the living room.

The bed room will include one Queen size bed (King is too big), one chest of drawers (about 6-8 drawers) with a square mirror. There will be one side table with a lamp as well as one wardrobe. I may consider getting a chair futon later.

The real challenge is to find all these furniture at the price I can afford. Ikea is really expensive here in Dubai since it is considered somewhat of a status symbol. So I am looking at other options.

I have about a week to do it. Aaaaaargh!

Gotta run now,

Mansur

1 comment:

Chanad said...

Congrats on the new home!

Powered By Blogger