Monday, August 01, 2005

Technology Misused?

Hey friends,

Saudi Arabia will soon be launching the "visual phone" service, whereby people can talk to each other via video through their mobile phones. Nokia is one phone which has two cameras, one which is facing back at you. Soon, people will talking to each other on video.

No dount, something new like always stirs up a debate, but this time, its the youth who are debating it. Should it be allowed? Should it be banned? The main gist of this debate is the age old argument: it will be misused!

I remember hearing the same thing about internet, the satellite, the camera phones, the bluetooth and what not. So, when some new like a video-phone arrives causing people to be furious about it, does that show something about the people or is technology bad?

I believe technology can be a good thing, provided it is used intelligently. I mean, take a car. A car can obviously be used for good purposes. But there are some rotten apples who will misuse it. The internet and bluetooth can be used for good purposes, but no, some rotten apples misuse it. I am not restricting this to Saudi, but you can apply this to any society anywhere in the world.

So let this video phone enter the market. Why waste time discussing and debating over it? Afer all, people have web cams in their homes!

Mansur

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

salam alikum Mansur,
Seem slike we have something in common.We were in saudi since 1979 and
it was manarat jeddah all along.
And believe me we had fun .I dont know about Jeddah prep.My favourite cartoon was Greandiazer!And "Adnan wa Leena"

Well since all along in Manarat jeddah, i can speak arabic quite well and read,write.I regret that i did not pay much attention then.I did my O level in 1989.
Mail me and we can have a chat:
aalimandalbd@yahoo.com

Abbas

Powered By Blogger