Thursday, June 09, 2005

Begging or not?

Hi friends,

A recent survey in Saudi Gazette revealed that 69% of the beggars here are Saudis. I have seen beggars almost everywhere from mainly Afghanistan, Central Asia and Africa. They are mainly small kids or elderly women, carrying small babies. Some of them attempt to sell chewing gum, towel pieces, car cloths, and other small stuff.

I know these beggars form a part of a larger ring of beggary. The kids are dropped off at their points all over the district, and then picked up at the end of the night. Most of the kids that I have talked to reveal that their fathers are unemployed, mothers are sick and so they are forced by their fathers to beg for money. There have been reports of how much money these beggars make, and at times the figures are appalling.

I give money to these small kids who are begging. I give it out of sympathy. I hate to see small kids out like this on the streets. But I have also noticed how some of the beggars will feign illnesses, or pretend to limp, and once the traffic light is green, they are quickly healed so they can run back to the island. I have seen women who talked sadly, and when you say no to them, theyare normal and proceed to the next car.

I wonder if I am encouraging these beggars to beg more when I give them money. A cycle is developed: the more I give, the more they are encouraged to beg. If I don't give, maybe they will stop begging. But then, I would be denying the genuine beggars out there.

Many times, I am in a dilemma. Should I give money? Are these beggars real? Am I encouraging these people to beg for more when I give money? If I don't give, will I be denying a genuine case out there?

Mansur

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were you, I would not give a single ounce of my money to these beggars......coz if i do, then i will encourage them to beg for more.....and i dont want that happening.....instead i give my charity to some organization...god, these beggars need to know better than to beg....

MASS said...

i would rather buy off them something even for a little extra than to give them money

but the best deal is to give your money to a charoty organisation that takes care of people who are really in need

Anonymous said...

These kids should be taking out of streets. I mean there are so many charities and organizations which help needy people, and I think they also must "look" for them! Most of the beggeres and needy who are in streets are ignorant, and they think that by begging they are actually working and earning their money! But that's of course not true. I guess they must be taking care of, and instead of us giving them money and encouraging them to beg for money, instead we lead them and show them the way to some charity to help them and provide them with what they need. That may sound perfectionist and maybe impossible, but if we worked together, we might acutally make a difference to many!

Mansour said...

I remember one time this really sweet little girl was begging, and so my father got talking to her. She mentioned she was hungry. My father got her a full dinner meal. That little girl was so ingrateful that she said that she wants money, in cash. I think the kids are threatened to bring in money, which the father demands from them, leaving the kids empty handed.

I agree with you all, my money needs to go for charities. I think sometimes I have a soft heart for these small kids who are out begging. It's takes a lot of courage on my part to not give them money. Maybe I think it makes me feel better in someways. I don't know.

Mansur

Powered By Blogger