Wednesday, June 22, 2005

RALF, Mega Mall and Acid Indigestion!

Hey friends,

*** I finally managed to visit the Recreation and Leisure Fair (RALF) here in Jeddah. The event was inaugrated on the 15th and finished yesterday. No one from home was really interested to come with me so I took a friend of mine. The doors opened at 530pm and we were there aruond 7-ish. Where are the people? Why is it so empty? It's a Monday I know, but schools and colleges are off! The alarmingly small number of people made the exhibition hall seem more empty.

So what was the exhibition about? Well, they basically showcased toursism-related events. Most of the hotels had their stands. The sponsors displayed their automobiles and motor bikes. Various companies, like Canon and Fuji, displayed their products. Zajil Net had an internet cafe running. In two corners there were a skate-boarding ramp area and in the other a laser show. There were organizations like the martial arts center and the scuba diving group, where few of the kids were signing up for classes. Outside the hall, there was a beach volleyball court, where no one was playing, and also a camping outdoors area, where they displayed tents and barbecue equipments. The main gist of it all was to give an outlet to the youngsters for the various activities. It's not ground-breaking, but its a mild start to what hope would develop into bigger and better things.

Although I appreciate and commend the organizers' effort to put up such an event, I was disappointed with the number of people that were showing up in small numbers. RALF was advertised in the papers for close to two weeks prior to the exhibition. This is the first time such an exhibition has been held, so I only hope it becomes tronger year by year. I enjoyed this exhibition and it certainly beat the time usually spent at home!

On a side note, I want to nominate the speed-bump there that leads into the parking lot. Why was the whole parking lot empty while the street outside were crowded? Well, I took my dad's car and it got stuck on top of that absurd triangular speed bump-- heck, it was not even the least bit round!. The silencer and exhaust pipe were damaged and I had to go back home at 20kph. So there, it's official, the "world's worst speed-bump" is opposite the Jeddah's Convention and Exhibition Center!

*** Today morning, my mom, sister and I went to the new Seraifi Mega Mall which created waves last weekend. Thankfully we went in the afternoon for lunch, and I was very impressed. I think it is the best mall in Jeddah now. I felt like I was in a mall in London. The design, the use of colors, the layout plan of the shops were designed just like any mall in the West. The only thing I felt uncomfortable, as an architect, was the food court on the third floor. There are three floors, and there is also a good sized ince skating rink on the second floor. There is also what they advertised as the largest hypermarket in Saudi Arabia. We had lunch and strolled around. It was a great experience. We went again in the evening with my dad, but the traffic was horrible, and people had literally parked across the main road. It was like as if the whole town had descended on this mall. We did not go inside this time.

*** I had Burger King for lunch. I could not even remember when I had Burger King last (probably months!) I wish I did not have that Whopper. The whole day, I was suffering from acid indigestion, you know, the feeling when you have this burning acidic sensation rising up to your throat. Horrible feeling!

Hey guys, if you come to Jeddah, be sure to check out the Seriafi Mega Mall. Ok, I am out of here for now!

Mansur

No comments:

Powered By Blogger