Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Dentist

Hey,

I had my dentist appointment today. It may sound funny to you all, but I absolutely love going to the dentist. You see, before I pursued my educational career in architecture, I was in love with dentistry, so much so, I spent one year doing pre-dentistry in the US. Circumstances and destiny led me elsewhere, and I guess God thought I would be a better architect than a dentist.

When people first heard I was going to study dentistry, they would always ask me, "why do you want to spend your lifetime looking into people's mouth?" I had no clear answer then, but I would always tell them that it something I love. Where did my interest in dentistry come from? From years of experience at the dentist. I am the only in my family to have had all four my wisdom teeth removed. I had braces on for four years. I have had two teeth extracted long time ago. Thankfully, my teeth are all aligned now.

When I had my braces removed back in 1993, the dentist back then did not a super job of removing the square piece of glue that was left on of my tooth. The dentist who worked on me today saw that and asked me why I was walking around with a piece of glue on my teeth. I told him I thought it was plaque and I over-dosed on chocolates. He finally removed the piece of glue, and now I feel so cool, because what I thought was plaque is not there anymore. My white teeth is shining now.

Oh, by the way, the whitening toothpaste do not really work. It's a scam that the makers of these toothpastes are cashing in on to offer an alternative to those who cannot afford the more expensive whitening process at the dentist.

Oh, also, remember to floss and mouthwash daily. That's the lesson I learned today!

Mansur

10 comments:

K Khan said...

One of my friend's who is a dentist said that the whitening toothpastes have some sort of crystals in it, which can actually harm your teeth. They work by scraping away the top stained layer of the teeth.

But thats the problem - they can wear away the top layer of enamel on the teeth.

K Khan said...

I can't believe i'm handing out dental advice - but here's one more tip:

Use an electric toothbrush - they really do make a noticeable difference. Of course you should still floss from time to time, but the teeth look and feel much cleaner after using the electric brushes.

And before I used to think that people who used them were the laziest people in the world! haha

Mansour said...

I based my earlier belief in whitening toothpaste on another dentist I had gone to. However, the dentist I went to last night was a smart one because he detected that square piece of glue leftover from my braces. So I took my new dentist's advice about whitening toothpaste not really working. However, having said that, I will continue to use the whitening toothpaste.

Kashif-- I did hear about these micro-crystals before. If they wear away the top layer of the enamel thats dangerous because the sensitivity of the tooth increases. I also use an electric toothbrush...its easier to get to the ones right at the end.

Xena--- sorry about my advice. It was an honest advice at the time.

Hibbalicious--- Pearl Drops I have heard about, but never used them. There are loads of whitening procedures, but toothpaste is not a good option. Porcelain veneers sounds good!

M

MASS said...

hehe nice post Mr Mansur

whitening toothpastes do work
i ve tried

but the best deal is avoid drinking soft drinks, tea and coffee or anything that stains

:)

Mansour said...

ok, thats nice to hear that whitening toothpaste do work. One question: how long did it take for you to realize that the effect was taking place? I mean, when do you start to realize that the effect is taking place? If I can ask, what brand do you use?

Mansur

MASS said...

Signal 2 whiteninng

works in a few days:)
i know other stuff are better but im not into toothpaste these dayslol

Mansour said...

Signal...somehow I have stuck with crest but a little bit of mint stings my mouth, so I avoid all minty ones, and Crest works the best for me. I will give the Signal one a try now.

Mansur

MASS said...

hey hey hey,, dont blame me if it makes your teeth yellow:P JK

the best deal is to use wash yr teeth floss then use miswak

thats like tripple power :P

i need to buy a new miswak,

i had miswak toothpaste befor i think it was made in indonesia,,, i didnt really like it

the real thing is much better lol

Anonymous said...

mansur i wonder what people used before toothpastes were invented. like, what did people use in addition to miswak?

Anonymous said...

Ich wundere mich, welche carmichael tooth whitening Informationen ich kennen mu�?Salaam, Connie carmichael tooth whitening

Powered By Blogger