Friday, June 17, 2005

New Mega Mall Opening

Hello,

This weekend, the new Serafi Mega Mall made its opening. The timing could not have been more perfect since the exams also ended this weekend. So, with all the students and families out there on the streets, the mall took the opportune time to cash in. As I had imagined, there was a huge traffic jam and people were stuck. (There is a line in the article where an old man say "I am tucked over here for three hours and I am patient of debates" which should read "I was stuck here for over three hours and I am patient of diabetes." Sometimes I wish I could be a proof-reader for Saudi Gazette!)

I myself personally was not there, but I can imagine so because when Ikea was opened here, there was a crazy traffic jam and the opening of the new branch resulted in several deaths all because people wanted to be the first 100 customers to receive the free vouchers. So, today Jeddah has yet another new mall. Only time will tell how successful this mall is because as it is, the other malls are not doing grat business. People mainly go for window shopping, the play areas, or the food courts. The shopping itself is very little compared to the number of people in the malls.

Oh, how could I forget also that malls are a dating scene, as witnessed at Basateen Mall this past week. I was in there twice with my dad and twice I saw about 50 young men, in latest designer clothes, bandanas, sleeveless, bodybuilders, baseball caps, chains, mobile phones, just standing there right at the entrance. It was like being attacked by a mob. I mean, Basateen Mall is primarily for women, hardly any shops for men, yet you see all these young men in there. I was there with my dad, and it got a little weird when we saw some of the men catch pieces of paper from the few young females there. But then again, instead of criticising these men, I ask myself: what else can they do? Most areas are restricted to families, and so what should the young men do in their free time? Exams have ended, they want to take a break, and there are no options for them except to hang out at Starbucks or in malls.

Mansur

No comments:

Powered By Blogger