Thursday, June 30, 2005

Left Jeddah!

Hey friends,

I left Jeddah today. My holiday break is up. I am now in Dubai and I not liking it the least bit right now. I know I shall be all-right within a few days, but when I leave my home, Jeddah, I always feel sad. Heck, I was feeling sad when I left my home to go to the airport.

I left home at 1pm and my flight left at 4pm. It was a great flight on Saudia, with only half the people on board. I was stuck next to this really fat man, so I was all squeezed up. I could have moved, but all the window seats were taken! Well, anyways, that is not what I wanted to say.

I guess what I wanted to say is, if no one else has said it before, that "once you are away from home, you only then realize how much you miss it." I had such an awesome time in Jeddah, and even though I may have complained about the policies and going-ons there, I love Jeddah. I miss Jarir Bookstore and Tahliyah Street (Jeddah's own Oxford Street!!) I guess no one can appreciate Jeddah if one has not lived there. I am in Dubai now, the height of artificiality and superficiality. Dubai Summer Surprises. Dubai Millionaire. Dubai: Shopping Paradise. Spend Spend Spend! Win Win Win! Money Money Money!

I miss Jeddah, so much so, I want to see women in the black abayas, all covered, as opposed to some women here who wear shorts and sleeveless in Dubai! I am sick of Dubai now! I am seriously contemplating of living somewhere else, if not Jeddah.

I was so infuriated to read about Oprah misusing Rania al-Baz's interview to depict the life of a Saudi woman. I now wonder why Oprah did something like what she did. She should know better than that. Wife-beating is not limited to Saudi, but every country in the world. The fact that Oprah chose to use Rania al-Baz as an example of a typical Saudi woman goes to show how much she doesn't know about Saudi. Miss Oprah, come live in Jeddah and you will see how much different it is in reality than the fantasy world you have conjured up in your mind!

Jeddah is a real city. There is nothing fake about it. Ok, so the restaurants are segregated and women cannot drive and no cinemas are there, but that does not make Jeddah boring. Jeddah is miles better than Dubai. Jeddah is real, warm (as in hospitality-wise) and one of the coolest place to be. Dubai is a place where you have to flaunt money to have a good time, otherwise, forget it!

Jeddah. I am so emotional now. What else can I say? I miss Jeddah!

Mansur

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks Mansur 4 ur feelings towards Jeddah .....I feel the same 4 Riyadh 2..

Anonymous said...

somewhere over the rainbow...where the bluebirds sing...oh aunty em, oh aunty em, there is no place like home, there is no place like Jeddah!!!!

akjfaifjakmk said...

i miss jed too right now :( man u write too well. stirring such sad emtions in me :(

Powered By Blogger