Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Buddha Bar

Hey all,

One of my favorite genre of music is the Buddha Bar music, especially the oriental versions, since they incorporate asian and arabic music. For those of us living in Jeddah, the Java Lounge plays Buddha Bar music. Well, guess what people? Dubai will have its first Buddha Bar Lounge and Restaurant opening up soon.

It's exciting, but then it's also a bit weird, because the trademark of any Buddha Bar Lounges are the statues of Buddhas themselves. Is Dubai that tolerant that it will have statues of Buddhas all over the restaruant? According to news report it will be modelled after the original Buddha Bar Lounge in Paris, and this is what it looks like.

buddha_1_main

So, while Dubai maybe having a Buddha Bar Lounge, is it going to far with its stance on tolerance? Personally speaking, I have no problem with Dubai, but it becomes an issue when Dubai claims to be a city steeped rich in Islamic culture and traditions, which it clearly isnt, when you have all the five star hotels having clubs and drinking with reputation worse than the ones in European countries. I remember going to dinner to Jumeirah Beach Hotel with my parents and family, and while leaving, we saw men and women of Arab origin, falling all over the lobby, completely drunk. These guys and girls were laughing, falling down, giggling away, while waiting for the car to come pick them up. I tell you, it was a sight to see, and I was so embarrased to see this kind of shennanigan going on here.

Dubai is a hybrid of various people and community. It truly is a melting pot, with Indians forming the largest population group. Dubai is also very transient, with people coming and going, shops opening and closing down, older buildings being demolished and newer ones coming up. It's a rapidly changing city, and it can be exciting and frustrating at time. Dubai, for sure, is trying to project its image as the leading tourist destination in this part of the world. With projects like DubaiLand, The Palm, The World, The Hydropolis (world's first underwater hotel), Burj Dubai (world's tallest tower), Dubai Mall (world's largest mall), the world's largest indoor skiing slope at the Mall of the Emirates and so many others, it's so unbelievable to see Dubai emerging as ultra-modernistic city.

On a side note, have you noticed on how all the advertising for these projects, only European models are used. It's canny but its true. All you see are blond haired-blue eyed models selling you that apartment blocks in Dubai Marina. You never see any locals, or any Asians or any other nationality group for that matter. What's the logic? Is Dubai pandering to the Europeans?

For an architect like me, I am excited by all the projects, but I am also saddened with the image it gives to Dubai. Tradition and Culture are fading away fast. The local population are hidden behind the huge waves of expatriates population and the image of Dubai is that it is either an Euro-centric or Indian-centric city. Archtects have a big responsibilty for creating the image of a city, and I dont know where Dubai is heding, but by having all these projects certainly don't give Dubai the image it needs. Yes, it has proven that it can afford to come up with innovative and different concepts for projects, but it is also compromising on its Arabian image.

Which is why I love Jeddah. It is more real, and the people are more real. It's nice to see more locals than the expatriates. Which is why I also love Damascus, and I think in my book, Damascus is my favorite city in how it is so rich in traditon and culture.

Goodness, I started off Buddha Bar music and ended up writing about Dubai.

Have an awesome day you all,

Mansur

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well if you hate Dubai go AWAY!!leave..go work in your own country..Why should you always talk about Dubai this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Why do you always show the bad side..Dubai is an interesting city just as any other city in the world..I have been living here for 20 years and I am very happy with it

Mansour said...

I did not write this to show my hatred for Dubai. All I have done here is write a critical piece. You have grossly misunderstood my intention. In the world of architecture, everything is up for criticism. Even I was criticised for my ideas, as are all students. I wonder how you would have handled life as an architect. Go to my university in Sharjah and the professors there are talking critically about the city..and they talk worse than me. Every city is criticised by all sorts of people, and every city has its good and bad side. I love Jeddah. I ike Dubai. I like London. I like so many other cities, and each one of them has its bad and good side.

The issue here is not about hating or loving a city. The issue I have raised is how a city's image is shown through its building, which is why architects have a huge responsibility. Can you tell me what Dubai's image is? I think it's a hybrid of images, there is no one coherent image which you can say sums up Dubai. I write this as a basis for discussion on how Dubai can come with an image it can be proud of. Do you want people to associate Dubai's culture with these new projects? Do you think the Burj Dubai is representative of Dubai's Culture and Faith? This is my opinion, and you are free to give your opinion.

I think you have also failed to read my earlier posts...there have been more times when I showed Dubai in a good light. Why do I get criticised for such articles, and when I write positive articles, people dont commend me. I suggest you go through my earlier articles, where I have written about Dubai in a positive light. So, before you ask me to leave and go away, make sure first where I am coming from.

Also, as a Pakistani, I can assure you that it is the Pakistanis, Indians, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans who have made this city with their own hands, and yet they are the ones living in horrible labor camps and transported like cattle on buses. They don't like it here, and are here because they are making money. Would you ask them to go away back to their countries just because they dont like it here?

You are entitled to love Dubai. I am not stopping you from doing that. Love it all that you want, but not everyone is in the same boat as you. I too like Dubai. Like I said, go back and read my older post before making such a judgment call on me and asking me to go away.

I hope you can understand where I am coming from with an open mind.

Mansur

Mansour said...

I am not talking about the people here. I was referring to the statement that anonymous told me to leave Dubai if I hate it. If I hated Dubai, I would not be here in the first place, and I have no idea where anonymous came up with the idea that I hate Dubai.

What I was trying to say by mentioning these people who have made Dubai with their hands is that these people are not necessarily here because they love Dubai, but are here because life is better for them here.

I have talked to so many guys, since I am on the site, and many have complained to me how they never get to enjoy life the way they see the Europeans do. They don't even make enough money to even shop at the malls here. And you know what? They don't like it here. Are you going to tell them to leave Dubai just because they don't like it?

I am in no way saying that the Emiratis are bad people....no question about it. One of my closest friend who means a lot to me is an Emirati. Two Emirati girls I know from university were very good friends to me. So there is absolutely no questions about hating one another.

My whole point with this article was to discuss what Dubai's image is? Is it Middle Eastern? Is it Western? Is it a fusion? Can there be a fusion? How much does Dubai need to compromise on its heritage to have nightclubs and parties?

Sometimes speaking my mind lands me into trouble. :)

Mansur

Mansour said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

www.sorrydubai.blogspot.com
www.secretdubai.blogspot.com

check these out mansur..they are more critical than you are...

D

Powered By Blogger