Saturday, September 10, 2005

Gmail versus Hotmail!

Hey friends


I had made a switch over from Hotmail to Gmail, because a friend convinced me to. I was skeptical initially since I was so comfortable with Hotmail. I had become familiar and accustomed to the format for Hotmail. Why should I go through the hassle of changing my email and then informing everyone in my address book about the change of email address? Well, I finally made the switch and I am most pleased with Gmail. Here’s why:

1. Gmail has lots more storage. Hotmail has only 2mb. Which meant I had to start deleting my older emails to make space for new ones. Gmail claims to have enough storage to last you a lifetime.

2. Gmail’s emails are placed together as a “conversation.” So, when I send an email, and I receive a reply, that replied email will be placed along with my original email. This creates a conversation. It might sound confusing, but it’s actually a cool feature.

3. When I receive pictures in Gmail, I see them in thumbnail format, and then can decide which one I want to download. In Hotmail, when I received pictures, they would show up in its original size, thus slowing down the opening of the email.

4. When I log into Gmail, I am directed right to my emails. In Hotmail, I would have to go to the Welcome page, and then onto the emails page.

5. In Gmail, at the end of each email, there is a quick reply box, where I can send off a quick reply. In Hotmail, I had to click on the reply button, which is somewhat a lengthier process.

6. Gmail has very minimal ads. Hotmail always had that huge ad on the right sidebar, and on the top.

7. Gmail’s interface is lot less cluttered, and much cleaner looking.

8. I can search for my email in the search box. That way I can dig up the email that was sent to me on a particular day, or a particular subject.

And if you are a Gmail user and know of any more cool features that I may have missed out on, let me know.

Since Gmail is in its Beta phase, it is not yet officially available. So, in order to create an account, you need to be invited. I have 99 invites left, so if anyone out there is interested, let me know and I shall be happy to send you an invite.

Also, Gmail is operated by Google, who also operate the Blogger. So there might be a useful feature later on whereby I can write an email and send it to blogger, where it will automatically post my article to my blog.

Google is also my favorite search engine, and one of their coolest program is the Google Earth, which I mentioned earlier.

You all have an awesome rest of the day.

Mansur

1 comment:

Mansour said...

Yeah, I know what you mean...it had been months since I had my Gmail thing waiting, and then I decided to just switch over. The main reason was because I had to start deleting my older emails....

Mansur

Powered By Blogger